Achieve a Healthier Spine in Rosmalen
How many times a day do you stop and think about your spine? If you're in Rosmalen like many of us, that number is a solid "zero". As long as we can keep going on a daily basis, we will simply assume that everything is okay, that is unless you have back pain. Those who suffer from chronic back pain or injuries have a hard time getting it out of their minds, whether it be the pain itself or linked to the chain reaction of events it causes. Back pain is not free, monetary and emotional. Contact our chiropractic clinic in Rosmalen for more information.
While most of us don't think about our spinal health on a daily basis, statistics have shown that nearly 80-90% of the population suffers from spinal issues and back pain at some point during a lifetime. Accident victims aside, those most at risk include smokers, obese, and heavy hitchhikers. With such a high probability, there is a solid argument for leading a healthy lifestyle and, in turn, the pursuit of a healthy spine.
Below are some proven strategies for a healthy spine/back:
HEALTHY NUTRITION AND BODY MOVEMENT in Rosmalen
- Know your ideal body weight and stay within 10 pounds of that weight. Common sense supports the biomechanical logic that carrying unnecessary body weight puts stress on all parts of the human body, including the spine.
- Strengthen your core muscles. A lack of muscle in this area can pull your entire body out of alignment, starting with your lower back.
- Work diligently to eat a reasonably portioned and healthy diet. Pair this diet with a consistent exercise program that fits your schedule, and you will see results not only in your weight, but your overall health and confidence.
- Always stretch before and after your workout.
- Before starting any diet or exercise program, consult your physician. There may be specific issues with your health condition that require professional guidance.
In terms of physical recovery, smokers are much worse off than non-smokers. Blood flow throughout the body is severely limited by the more than 4,000 chemicals in cigarettes. This restriction slows down the healing process to all parts of the body, and the spine is no exception.
- Try to support your body while you sleep. Pain is not normal at any time, and if you feel pain while trying to sleep, find a position that relieves the pain.
- Back sleepers on average place nearly 50 pounds of extra pressure on the spine which can be reduced by nearly half if a supportive pillow is placed under the knees.
- Side sleepers can reduce pressure on the spine by placing a pillow between the knees.
- Standing with the knees closed puts pressure on the lower back. Relax your posture by placing one foot in front of the other, slightly bending the knees.
- Avoid bending at the waist for any length of time, as this also places unnecessary stress on the spine.
- Always hold your legs while lifting. Don't lift with your back muscles alone.
- Avoid twisting when lifting something.
- If pushing or pulling an item is an option, choose it. Always choose to push before pulling and engage your leg muscles to reduce back strain.
- Ask for help.
- When carrying the object after lifting, keep it close to the body and spread the weight evenly between both hands.
- Avoid slouching in your seat. Keep the shoulders back and the back straight. Don't let your shoulders become rounded or let your lower back lose its natural curve.
- The knees should be slightly higher than the hips.
- Keep your head up and look straight ahead.
BEND / REACH
- Bend the legs to pick up items below hip level. Do not bend at the waist.
- Use a stool if you are looking for an item that is higher than shoulder height. Straining to reach anything overhead can cause injury to the neck, shoulders, and mid-back.
- Place your body as close to the object as you reasonably can to further reduce any tension.
- Like everything in life, there are no guarantees that you will avoid back pain, but using these simple, common-sense strategies will certainly increase your chances of living a pain-free, healthy life!
If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with our Rosmalen team at Chiropractie Rosmalen today.
8:00am - 12:00pm
2:00pm - 7:00pm
8:00am - 12:00pm